With everything back safely in my now-crowded basement, Steven and I do an initial sort, getting the entries into a rough order by entry number. Then we get a bunch of us to help out with the next steps. Our big sort was this Monday and we had eight of us on-hand to help out. Two volunteers help put each section into order and bring them to the labelers in small batches. Two people remove the entry labels from each beer and put on our stickers with randomly generated numbers to make sure the judging is truly blinded. Each bottle gets one label on the neck and another on the cap...Yup 1000 labels done in one night! One or two more people remove the recently labeled bottles to be placed in BJCP categories to make placement for judging easier. We also made sure to taunt my basement-dwelling cat with lots of fun boxes and papers. Then clean-up. Oh, and we drank some homebrew and commercial beers too. No we did not cheat and sample from the contest entries!
|This entrant was not messing around!|
It is very interesting to see some of the packaging that comes along with the entries. We saw bottles in plastic bags; laminated entry labels; cellophaned up boxes; wine bottles; funky caps; etc. There were late entries; entries that were never really submitted; double entries; and lost entries (only one though!) But in the end we catalogued and organized everything into a semblance of order! I had a good time and would highly suggest being in on this part of a competition in the future to see how the nuts and bolts of the behind-the-scenes stuff works.
Next up is a round of judging this Friday, to make up for the increase in entries this year. I'll give more info soon!