Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Octoberfest/Marzen experiment begins

For the month of September, I will be attempting to have an Octoberfest/Marzen/Festbeer each day.  For those few days that I can't have a beer because of work schedule, I'll try to have two the next day!
I now have a pretty good stock of beers, but if any of you find some cool ones or hard to find in Minnesota specimens, let me know!  I did manage to track down some of the BJCP preferred commercial examples of the style including Paulaner, Ayinger, Hacker-Pschorr, Victory Festbier, Spaten, and Sam Adams.  It will be interesting to compare these to the other versions I come across.



For September 1st I just happened to be having lunch at the Edina Grill with my lovely wife and her mother.  They have changed the tap list since last time I was there, and now only serve Minnesota beers on tap!  So Summit Octoberfest becomes the first beer on my list.  I was pleasantly surprised to have my beer served at correct temperature in a new sweet Summit glass.  Oh and my mother-in-law managed to get these wicked glasses for us to take home too...

Aroma: Not a lot going on here.  Subtle malty notes and a little floral hop.
Color:  Gold to very light Amber color with fine white head that fades fairly quickly.
Flavor:  Somewhat sharp bitterness and lager crispness that belies the malty nature of this style.  Fairly strong noble hop flavors and a distinct balance to the bitter side of things.  Ends with a fleeting malty taste then fades to a very dry finish.
Overall:  Not a bad beer by any means and would be easy to drink quite a few of them.  This version seems too hoppy and dry and lacks some of that malty smoothness I'm expecting.  Still, a very good beer to pair with banana waffles topped with praline sauce!

Today also happens to be my 11th wedding anniversary and we will be be having an excellent dinner at Terra Waconia to celebrate!   I can not believe that my wonderful wife has tolerated all my home brewing, beer collecting, and other assorted shenanigans for this long.  Raise a pint of something beery and help toast us to 11 more years of this wedded bliss!

No comments: