Saturday, September 22, 2012

Octoberfest updates

Despite my lack of daily posts, I have continued in my quest to have an Octoberfest/fest/marzen/fall seasonal beer each day this month!  Here is a quick run-down of the last week or so.  I have been too busy to give a huge write-up on each so you will have to settle with a cool picture and a rating.  I think you will survive!


1) Surlyfest:  One of the more interesting versions of the style I've had this month.  Not a traditional version, but what do you expect from a brewery called Surly?  It has a nice body and malty taste, but a spicy and bitter edge that makes it end quite dry and a little astringent.  They use rye and a fair amount of hops for this one, which certainly explains the flavor and mouthfeel I'm getting.  Not bad at all:  2 of 5 as an Octoberfest, but 3.5 of 5 as a nice beer.

2) New Belgium Red Hoptober:  Another quasi-Octoberfest.   I get a nice malty backbone to this, but a large amount of American citrus hops make it taste more like an American Amber.  Beautiful red color though.  Pretty much the same score as the Surlyfest.


3) Left Hand Octoberfest:  I've never had this beer before, and the brewery is known for ales, so I had no idea what to expect.  A pretty classic tasting Festbier with a perfect balance.  4 of 5.


4) New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest:  Probably the best American example I've had so far.  Malt bomb, but ends dry enough to keep you wanting more.  Complex malty and toasty flavors.
4.5 of 5.


No comments: