Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Jack Of All Brews July 2015 Meeting Recap
Hey folks! This is the quick recap of this past week's Jack Of All Brews Homebrew Club meeting. We meet the second Friday of the month with a variable theme, so put it on your calendars now! This month we had a fairly small crowd (about 15) but that's never shocking in the busy summer months.
1) Josh Welch will be brewing up his Sundrop summer ale with Waconia Brewing Company as the grand prize in the inaugural JAB/Waconia Brewing Competition. I'll post details once we have a brew to try!
2) Mike Behrendt's Pub Ale is currently on tap at Schram Vineyards Winery & Brewery!
1) Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Competition--this is one of the premier comps in the state and is run by one of our favorite other clubs the Primary Fermenters! Registration is now open.
2) Carver County Fair--Entry drop off is Aug 3 from 5PM to 8:30PM, or Aug 4 from 8AM to Noon. Free entry! Check details of what to enter HERE. Registration is HERE.
3) All Club Campout--This is from 7/31-8/2 near Cold Spring, MN. Details are HERE on the the MN Homebrewer's site.
This month I gave a talk on making tinctures for addition to beers, meads, ciders, and cocktails. We tried some of my Belgian Strong with a few drops of hibiscus tincture which changed the aroma and taste just a bit. I also demonstrated the ease of adding vodka (or you could use everclear) to dried elderberries in a mason jar to start out a tincture for future use. I hope to use some homemade bitters for a beer cocktail demo soon...
This month's theme was fruit beers, and we had 8 entries for the Golden Mash Paddle. Several of these were fruited versions of the group lambic experiment from almost 2 years ago. In order we tasted them:
Joe L.--Orange Kolsch
John F.--Raspberry Rhubarb Cream Ale
Anna O.--Raspberry Wheat
Mike L.--Strawsome (strawberry lambic)
Andrew G.--Stawberry Lambic
Mike L.--Peachness (peach lambic)
Eric W.--Cherry Red (cherry Flanders Red)
Eric W.--Cherry Rhubarb Lambic
And the winner was Eric Wentling (that's ME!) for Cherry Rhubarb. We had several grain, hop, and swag giveaways for everyone who entered this month. Put those things to good use!
Next meeting is August 14 starting at 6:30 at Mike and Joan Behrendt's place in Eden Prairie. We will be having special guest Steve Piatz (author of The Complete Mead Guide to Mead Making) giving us a talk about mead! The theme of the month is of course also mead, so bring your meads to share and for the monthly Golden Mash Paddle contest! And maybe you'll learn something to improve your meads in the future. Also Steve will be bringing some copies of his book to sell and sign so bring some money if you want one. I already have my copy!