Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Photo Challenge #15: Olde School



After playing along with Erin's 30 Word Thursday weekly challenge on her Treasures Found Blog for the past year I have finally taken the plunge and started taking photography more seriously.  Starting with my iPhone, I soon found that the limitations of that device were getting to me.  Upgrading to a Canon Eos Digital Rebel SL1 camera, I've started experimenting more with technique.  I have also invested in Photoshop Elements 12 and most of my post-production on photos will be from that program.  As a way to force myself to try new things, I'm doing a weekly photo challenge--each week focusing on a different photography or editing technique.  Some of these may be simple and others more difficult.  I encourage any of my readers to take part in the challenge!

Photo Challenge #15: Olde School

This week's challenge was to do a sepia effect on a couple pictures to give them an old fashioned look.  Looking through my pictures, I found that the ones most appropriate for this challenge were scenes and objects that would fit in back in time.  I found plenty of pictures in my batch from Belgium last spring, but many of the pictures were already fairly monochrome so the change didn't jump out as well as I would have liked.



1) Wheels within wheels.  This photo was taken at one of the small stables at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival this past summer.  It seemed to work well with the old fashioned theme!


I used a similar picture for a previous challenge--so sue me!


2) Bridge.  I like the timeless feel of this edited version.  The contrast in the trees isn't quite as good as I would have liked, but the sky was overcast on that day.  This one was taken at the small hotel (pictured above) in Chiny, Belgium.






3) Museum.  This was actually a museum in Ireland, taken with my old iPhone in 2011.  I'm actually not sure which version of the picture I like the most.  The contrast of the blue sky in the original is pretty cool, but I feel like the light shining off the top of the building is more noticeable in the sepia toned photo.  Oh, if I had had my Canon with me...

For any budding (or professional for that matter) photographers who want to play along, just post a link to your page/blog below.




Next week, we are going to take advantage of the improved weather.  I want documentary photos.  Take pictures of an action, a job, or activity.  Get a feel for what is going on by using different ways to capture action and ingredients.  I'll be homebrewing a batch of lambic to fill a barrel, and will likely use that as my muse...

No comments: